Friday, August 14, 2009

Advanced Placement English

Welcome back. If your summer went well, good. If not, then good thing it's over. Either way, you have made it another year. As far as accomplishments go, that's pretty minimal. But I guess it's a start.

***
I plan to use this blog as a way to communicate day-to-day assignments or pertinent information necessary to your success in my class. I will try to update and post as much as possible from this site -- otherwise, I will provide links to my personal website so that you can upload documents and other materials as needed. You can also post comments or questions, and I will do my best to address them as quickly as possible. At least that's the plan.

Ultimately, YOU are the one responsible for maintaining your materials (handouts, assignments, etc...). This blog is merely another attempt on my part to apply some degree of order to chaos. Hopefully it will serve as a successful tool for both the dissemination of information as well as for the clarification and reinforcement of difficult concepts. If nothing else, I hope that it can serve as an effective student forum -- a meaningful platform for the exchange of information. At least that's the plan.

And now for some Dylan:




T'was in another lifetime, one of toil and blood
When blackness was a virtue, and the road was full of mud
I came in from the wilderness, a creature void of form
"Come in," she said,
"I'll give you shelter from the storm."

10 comments:

  1. Inspired title, no doubt. How about a "real" pic of you? Emerson??!! Delusions of grandeur!

    ReplyDelete
  2. look at my two favorite English teachers getting all high-tech on the kids! That will blow their minds! For the record, if Hopkins had a blog with deadlines and the ability to upload assignments, I wouldn't have had nearly as many late-assignments.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, Dylan, America's perpetual troubadour.
    Great song!

    ReplyDelete
  4. do i have to do the propaganda project if i get a 100 on the 1984 test?

    ReplyDelete
  5. i like this blog thing you got going on its convienent

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes... you have to do a propaganda project... but why wouldn't you want to?? It's an easy assignment with a good pay-off.

    I hope that you get a 100 on the 1984 test, though.
    -Fatheree

    ReplyDelete
  7. can i use a picture that contains words on it already? like a phrase

    ReplyDelete
  8. It seems fine -- as long as you remember that the purpose is for you to develop your own propaganda and not to simply use a pre-existing ad as your own.

    If I were to take a Coka Cola ad and merely substitute the beverage with my own product and keep everything else the same... that doesn't really meet the spirit of the assignment. But if it is just a part of several changes that I have made (along with several other components that I have added) then it would be fine.

    ReplyDelete